Tuesday, February 06, 2007

What The Hell Were They Thinking?


bon·er (bō'nər) -
1) n. Informal A blunder or an error.
2) n. Vulgar Slang An erection of the penis.

Given that the Batman comics produced during the 1940s and 50s were written during a so-called "age of innocence," I still have to ask what the hell were the writers thinking. I must admit that I'm not up to date on all my 1950s slang, but I find it very hard to believe that the term "boner" wasn't used in the same context that it's used today.

Here are a few scans of "boner emphasis" taken from the pages of Batman and possibly Detective Comics. So take a look at them. They're in no particular order, and I'm not even sure that they're all from the same comic.

Also, I'm not even going to try to look at them in context. Enjoy!


First of all, who the hell emphasizes boners? And why the hell would that give Joker an idea for "a new adventure in crime"? Who talks like that anyway? Frankly I feel sorry for the citizens of Gotham, having to rue boners and all...


This just disturbs me. Now Joker's "boner crimes" are terrorizing the city. Even if I were to use the non-vulgar definition of the word, can someone please tell me what a blunder or an error crime is? And while it's nice to see that Gordon is worried about the boner Joker is readying for Batman, I'm a little worried as to why Batman's not concerned. Robin's taking the news like a champ too. Interesting...


He's trying to force you into a boner? You need to study the greatest boners of all time? Man, these guys couldn't be straight if a naked Catwoman was sitting on their face.


Rather than trying to make some joke about Joker pulling the boner of the year, I'm going to take the high road. What kind of sound effect is "WUXTRY!"? Is that the sound made when Joker pulls the boner of the year?

...

Wow, I couldn't even go one line with out going for the obvious. Oh well, on to the last picture.


I don't know what I find funnier, people laughing at Joker's boner, or people chortling at Joker's boner? Either way, I'm not even sure why Joker's pissed. Isn't he a clown? I thought any chortling was better than no chortling...

And there you have it. I think I'll take a shower now. I suddenly feel very, very dirty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for explaining this.