Saturday, April 14, 2007

This Week In Comics: Apr. 11, 2007


Iron Man #16
Writers: Daniel & Charles Knauf
Artist: Roberto de la Torre

If you're at all interested in the Iron Man ongoing, you've probably heard from a lot of different web sites that this issue was more C.S.I. than Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., and they're right. Problem is, I don't see this as a waste of an issue. Sure, parts are tedious and seemingly unnecessary, but I think it's presented in this fashion for a reason. As Stark said in the issue, "That's what I do. I run companies." He's never had to talk to families of his employees trying to console them, telling them that the death wasn't in vain. It's certain that Tony's dealt with death in the past, but seldom has he been directly responsible for the lives of those lost. The pages and pages of going over tissue samples and what not are just the Knauf's way of showing that Tony may not be as prepared as he'd like to be in order to run a major military operation. I think this is an important step in the development of Tony Stark's character.

Oh, and the Mandarin's back, w00t.

New Avengers #29
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artist: Leinil Yu

After last month's douche bag move on the part of the Mighty Avengers, it was nice to see that the New Avengers are perfectly capable of fighting dirty. Of course, the question of what the hell Dr. Strange can actually contribute to the team arises. I mean, he uses his magic to conjure the Mighty Avengers worst nightmares (with Tony's being particularly chilling and relevant) but he can't teleport the team to Japan. Or he can teleport the team to Japan but he can't beat Brother Voodoo. F#*$ing Brother Voodoo! Who the f#*$ is Brother Voodoo? I mean, I didn't hate this book, but I'm just not digging Dr. Strange's role because I'm still not exactly sure what he can do. As for the rest of the book, it was OK. I'd like to see some progression beyond "the legal Avengers/Elektra's evil" storyline, because it feels like the title characters have been in the same predicament for the past three issues. And with the "surprise" ending, nest issue better kick some mighty ass.

Punisher War Journal #6
Writer: Matt Fraction
Ariel Olivetti

"I'm going to
Mexico, and I'm gonna shoot that guy in the face."

That one line just about sums up everything that is badass about this issue. Matt Fraction is te freakin' man and he continues to prove it every issue. If you're not reading this book, you have no soul and should be shot in the face.

No comments: