Wednesday, January 31, 2007

My Black Son

Hey all, I'm back. Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've been pretty busy (read: lazy).

So I don't know how many of you actually watch Family Guy on Sundays, but this weeks' episode was pretty good. You have just to love everything that comes out of Peter's head. Without further ado, here's My Black Son, a great spoof that practically channels half the sitcoms ever produced in the 80s.



This clip got me thinking, why exactly was watching the adventures of a white family and their black kid so appealing? I think, nay hope, the meeting that gave the green-light to this type of show went something like this:

Head Exec: Ok troops, we need a new, hip TV show, and we need it fast. Any ideas?
Exec 1: How about a small-town family trying to make it in the big city?
Head Exec: It's been done.
Exec 2: How about Teenagers, but get this, they're in love!
Head Exec: Wow, that was uninspired. Next!
Exec 3: The adventures of a guy who just learned he has a long-lost son.
Head Exec: ...
Exec 3: Did I mention the kid is black?
Head Exec: Holy shit that's brilliant! Sheila, get me the president of the network.
Exec 4: Wait, um, sir. I have an idea.
Head Exec: *sigh* Fine Johnson, go ahead.
Johnson: Imagine, if you will, a walking carpet that teaches a family to love through his zany antics.
Head Exec: ...
Johnson: Uhh, did I mention the carpet is from space?
Head Exec: Brilliant!

Yup. Just like that. Truly inspired, this one is.

No comments: